Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 1 of the drinking water rather than soft drinks experiment


May 15, 2013

Today marks day one of my experiment to drink water rather than drinking soft drinks. Up to this day, I was drinking multiple Diet Mt. Dew cans each and every day. I was addicted to the caffeine and the Aspartame. Aware that, as a breast cancer survivor, I might have been playing with fire, so to speak, I am beginning this experiment.

I've noticed that when I drink soft drinks, I am able to eat more and I have greater sugar cravings. Today, when I ate breakfast, I was not able to eat nearly as much when I only had ice water to drink. I enjoyed the water and did not seem to miss the soft drink.

As the day progressed, I did find that I was battling a bit of sleepiness. I also had a very small headache since I was going through some caffeine withdrawal.

I enjoyed my dinner very much. I seemed to be able to taste more flavors in the food with water as an accompaniment. The big drawback was when I had to make the 45-minute drive from Kingsport to my home in Mosheim, it was all I could do to stay awake. I had to run the air conditioner full blast, sit up straight, and try to distract myself from visions of taking a nap by listening to upbeat songs on the radio.

I did have to take a power nap upon returning home. I did a lot of yawning after awakening. I feel fine currently.

My husband is not thrilled that I am trying this experiment as he fears I will fall asleep when we watch our late night television shows. Nevertheless, I feel the need to improve the way I am eating and drinking. Losing weight would be a perk of this experiment. Staying hydrated and healthy would be another perk of this experiment. We will see how long I can maintain this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment