Friday, October 28, 2011

Latest progress report - late October 2011

I am pleased to report that I only drank water yesterday and today. I do not want to make a definitive statement that I am cutting out soft drinks as that seems too drastic. I will simply take it one day at a time. Yesterday, it felt easy to only drink water. Of course, today is not yet over; however, I did not feel at all deprived by drinking ice water only with my lunch at Pizza Plus.

I feel that I could make a significant improvement to my weight situation by no longer drinking soft drinks. One day at a time will be my key.

I called my oncologist today to get more details about the whole soy situation. I had forgotten to ask when I had my quarterly check-up. If you have not read my other blog, then you may not know that I am a breast cancer survivor and cancer-free aka 'in remission'. I had already learned that I should not take 'One A Day' Menopause for hot flashes as it had soy in it. Soy, in the form they utilize it in those vitamins, contributes to cancer. That made me wonder about soy milk, etc. So today I called to request clarification. This is what I learned.

Soy is an artificial estrogen. In case you are not aware, estrogen feeds cancer. Therefore, they recommend that I do not drink soy milk or take soy in any form. I was not actually drinking soy milk, but I sometimes used it as a milk substitute in recipes. I will no longer do that.

My other aim is to work on portion control. I did fairly well on that yesterday and not so good at it so far today. I can certainly see this will be a one-day-at-a-time effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment