Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Weight loss versus Healthy and Whole: November 9, 2011

Here is my update on November 9, 2011. I think it boils down to the issues of weight loss versus being healthy and whole.

Grains: 6 ounces
Vegetables: 2 1/2 cups
Fruit: 2 cups
Proteins: 5 1/2 ounces
Dairy: 3 cups


The above list is the food pyramid diet advocated by the USDA for a 2000-calorie diet.

My only drinks since October 27th have been water and cappuccinos. Today, November 9, 2011, I am going to add hot tea to that mix. Right now, I am drinking a Red Tea that my father gave me. It has cinnamon and orange in it. It is fairly tasty.

What I've noticed is that my sugar cravings have lessened to a large degree now that I am no longer drinking soft drinks. Those drinks seemed to keep my sugar cravings going. I no longer seem to crave Red Hots as a snack of choice. I was consuming one bag a day. I don't gravitate toward desserts like I formerly did. So, drinking water is really working for me.

Plus, drinking cappuccinos satisfies that sweet craving. I easily get in my 3 cups of dairy daily by drinking the cappuccinos. As an experiment, I tried drinking double macho. It was way too sweet. I don't seem to enjoy hot chocolate that much any more. It was like a very sweet hot chocolate. I would have liked it to have a much stronger coffee taste and more subtle chocolate taste. So that purchase was a wash as my husband, who does enjoy hot chocolate, was not impressed by it either. I also purchased English Toffee. It was fairly good. The one I love the most is Hazelnut Cappuccino. I will mostly stick to that.

The other day, I went to the grocery store and purchased a yellow squash, Romaine lettuce, a red pepper, celery, grape tomatoes, and a broccoli and cauliflower floret mix. I washed and cut them all up and put them in five forever bags. Last night, as Randy and I watched TV, I munched on all of that sans dressing. It was a hand-to-mouth motion. I enjoyed it very much. I may add cucumbers and zucchini to the mix next time. I also ate an apple and one piece of Dove Dark Chocolate.

Randy and I went to Ryan's for an early dinner. I had meat loaf, mashed potatoes, cauliflower au gratin, a raw cucumber and tomato mixed with Italian dressing, and a large salad with lettuce, grated carrots, broccoli, sunflower seeds, and Ranch dressing. It was yummy. For dessert, I had fresh pineapple and Waldorf Salad. I drank water. It was a very satisfying meal. Neither Randy nor I felt the need for dessert since the Waldorf Salad was on the sweet side.

For lunch, I ate at Panera Bread. I got this sandwich that had turkey, red peppers, caramelized onions, and a Parmesan Artichoke dip. The sandwich was not wonderful. I only ate half. I ate a small bag of chips with it. Then I got a Walnut Carrot muffin that was very good. I drank water.

For breakfast, as I was driving to my doctor's appointment in Johnson City, I ate an apple.


Grains: 6 ounces
Vegetables: 2 1/2 cups
Fruit: 2 cups
Proteins: 5 1/2 ounces
Dairy: 3 cups

So, I got my grains in with the bread on the sandwich. I definitely ate at least 2 1/2 cups of vegetables. I ate more than 2 cups of fruit. I more than consumed 5 1/2 ounces of protein. I also consumed 3 cups of dairy. So that means I got my nutrition in.

As for weight loss, I far exceeded a 2000-calorie diet. So, I suppose, that my need to be healthy and whole nutrition-wise is far exceeding my follow-through motivation to actively work toward weight loss. That is my goal, but I don't want to be extreme about it. I am trying instead for a life-style change that I can consistently live with.

I am pleased though that I am taking positive steps in the direction for both being healthy and whole and for losing weight. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment