Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How am I doing with the Food Plate method?













My source for the plate portion of this picture is: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/MyPlate/GettingStartedWithMyPlate.pdf
















My source for the food measurements found in this picture came from: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/foodgroups/downloads/MyPlate/mini_poster_English_final.pdf

So, how am I doing with the Food Plate method? I am making progress forward.

I weighed myself this morning for the first time in a long time. That way, I have kind of a starting basis to know where I stand. According to my scale, I weigh four pounds more than my heaviest weight ever. I might have weighed more than that as I have already started some of my life style change practices.

For example, my last soft drink was consumed on October 26th through lunch. I drank Mellow Yellow at Olive Garden in Johnson City, TN. Since then, I have only been drinking water or milk.

On October 31st, I purchased Apple Cider Vinegar tablets. I took my first one that evening. I plan to consume two a day. My husband is going to join me in that effort. A woman at Health Barn in Greeneville, TN told me that one of her customers lost 60 pounds by doing this. Apple Cider Vinegar is supposed to help with joint pain as well.

I called my nutritionist at Laughlin Hospital. She supports the Food Pyramid method that has transformed, as of 2010, to the Food Plate Method. She actually has research that shows that apples can help you digest some proteins. I guess I am going to forget about the "Fit for Life" method co-created by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond. I may still use some of the recipes. It got me totally confused when I tried to reconcile it to the USDA approved Food Pyramid aka Food Plate method. I'm sure that a lot of very knowledgeable people carefully researched the most recommended diet. So I will align myself with that and end my state of being confused and conflicted by trying to follow two contrary diets.

So, given all that, how am I doing?

Grains: 6 ounces
Vegetables: 2 1/2 cups
Fruit: 2 cups
Proteins: 5 1/2 ounces
Dairy: 3 cups


Yesterday and today, I had whole wheat pasta mixed with Creamed Spinach and a bit of Ranch Dressing. It was my dinner yesterday and my lunch today. So I've had already had sufficient grains for the day. Anything else I eat with be extra. As for Vegetables, I've probably had the equivalent of 1/2 cup today. At dinner tonight, I will be joining my parents for a meal at Golden Corral. I plan to consume 2 cups worth or more of vegetables while there.


For the last several days, I have been using my Cappuccino machine to make 2 to 3 cups (usually 3) of Hazelnut Cappuccino. So I have definitely getting my daily quota of dairy products. My husband will only drink 2% milk, so I had been using that. Today, I bought some 1% milk as I would prefer to use that from now on. That will help cut some of the calories.


I will be eating some meat at Golden Corral, so I will get the rest of my proteins quota there.


As for fruit, I will easily eat 2 cups of fruit in the form of Gala Apples and fresh frozen berries and peaches that I chop up in my food processor. I probably will be exceeding 2 cups worth, but it is all sweet enough that I am not as tempted to eat dessert.


My nutritionist urges me to eat several smaller meals, so the fruit comprises one or more of my smaller meals. For example, right now, as I am typing on the computer, I am having a chopped-up berry mixture that is quite yummy.


I suppose limiting myself to a 2000-calorie diet which is what the above quota list measures will be a work in progress. I know I will be eating way over that calorie-wise.


For now, my focus is going to be making certain I fulfill these quotas to make certain I am getting a well-balanced diet.



Grains: 6 ounces
Vegetables: 2 1/2 cups
Fruit: 2 cups
Proteins: 5 1/2 ounces
Dairy: 3 cups

It feels simple to do at least that without feeling a bit deprived or punished. Down the road, as I feel so inspired, I will strive to lessen the calorie-consumption. I also would like to feel motivated to get in a bit of exercise as well. That also will be a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment